Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Blog the sixth---recipe the third

I usually enjoy the Moosewood Series cookbooks. I enjoy the healthy vibe that Mollie Katzen radiates through her pages. Just reading it one feels a bit more earthy, slightly more crunchy, a tad more organic. However, for blog the sixth-recipe the third I was quite underwhelmed by one of her cookies recipes. I won't go into detail regarding which cookbook or which cookie, but suffice to say that dear children were quite dear and gentle. Dear husband on the other hand was honest. I was grateful too because on one level I couldn't believe that a Katzen recipe failed me, yet on the actually eating level...yikes...I was failed.

I felt the need to try another Katzen untried recipe and was headstrong that it be another cookie recipe. I went to Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers: Fresh Ideas for the Weeknight Table, and came up with a winner. It was Valentines Day and I made a great dinner for dear family. Dessert was Butterscotch Icebox Cookies. The only caveat was that they seem to "melt" on the cookie sheet while cooking. Perhaps the cookie sheet was warm when I put them on...that's the only thing I could think of for the "melting". They tasted great, and we all agreed.  http://moosewoodrestaurant.com/

Butterscotch Icebox Cookies


1 cup butter, at room temperature
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups unbleached white flour
For crispier cookies, add 3/4 teaspoon baking soda with the flour. For puffier cookies, add 1 Tablespoon baking powder with the flour.
In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar with an eletric mixer until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, vanilla, and salt. Mix in the flour until well blended.

Divide the dough into 3 parts. Shape each third into a log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap the logs in waxed paper or plastic wrap and place in the dreezer until firm, at least 1 hour. (If dough will be stored more than a day, place the wrapped logs in a sealed freezer bag, label, and date.
When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. With a sharp knife, slice the logs into rounds about 1/4 inch thick. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 8-12 minutes, until the cookies retain a slight indentation when lightly touched in the center and are golden brown on the bottom. Remove the cookies form the baking sheet when still warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment