Sunday, March 6, 2011

Blog the 8th- recipe the 5th

The book club's pick this month was Tender at the Bone, by Ruth Reichel. http://www.ruthreichl.com/ I read this book a few years back and remember enjoying it. I had this vague notion that Ruth was much older than she actually is. Originally I read it right after one of dear children was born. So perhaps blearyeyedness clouded my memory.
Ruth had an amazing food journey. Her early food memories are peppered with hilarity yet the underlining disease that fueled these recollections is devestating. Her life has certainly never been mundane, and her prose is quite enjoyable. If you are searching for a food inspired voyage this would be a great choice.
The passages when she is being babysat were my personal favorites. This is perhaps why I chose Mrs. Peavey's Wiener Scnitzel.
(The recipe chosen isn't the one I really wanted to do, but I was seemingly pressed for time throughout the whole month. I would have liked to have tried a dessert.) However, dear family was delighted by the results. I had just made veal the week before and the butcher had just cut pork cutlets so that was my substitution. They really were fabulous...simple, but fabulous.

Wiener Scnitzel
1 1/2 pounds veal cutlets
1/2 cup flour
1 egg beaten
 1 cup finely ground bread crumbs
 salt and pepper
6 tablespoons butter
1 lemon

Pound each cutlet thin between two pieces of waxed paper.
Place flour in a flat dish or plate large enough to hold cutlat. Place beaten egg in another dish, bread crumbs in a third. Season with salt and pepper.
Dredge cutlets in flour. Dip into beaten egg. Dip into bread crumbs until thinly but thoroughly coated. place on waxed-paper-covered platter and place in refrigerator for about an hour.
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in large skillet. When sizzling, brown cutlets quickly on each side until golden. Remove to platter.
Melt remaining two tablespoons butter in the same pan. Squeeze lemon juice into butter, stir, and pour over cutlets, Serves 4.

1 comment: