Sunday, March 6, 2011

blog the 7th...recipe the 4th

I need to confess that I really do not enjoy skiing. When I say that I really mean it. Now that that is out on the table I can continue. My family LOVES skiing. Dear husband has the bug and dear children possess it as well. It probably has to do with genetics. We spent a week skiing as a family. I did my best one day and packed it in half the second day after dear daughter said, "I know you fell Mom, but we were waiting down the mountain for a long time." The funny thing is I thought I hurried after the fall.

With that behind me I was now able to hit the bookstores and pick up cookbooks. We were up in the North East region of the US so I picked up an Adirondack cookbook, and a Vermont cookbook. I'm in love with the Vermont book entitled, Out of Vermont Kitchens. It was compiled in the early 1930's by a group of church women from St. Pauls' Church in Burlington Vermont. I marvel at the fact that this book is still in circulation and a revised edition was published in 1990.I prefer the first edition due to the fact that the recipes are penned in the women's handwriting not a computer type. You can hear the individual voices in each recipe. I searched for an actual website for this book but was unable to find one. If anyone stumbles across one let me know. Thanks.

This was my chosen recipe...

Potatoes O'Brien (by Mary Lowe)
1cup white sauce (2 tablespoons butter-1 cup milk-2 tablespoons flour-1/4 teaspoon salt-dash of pepper)
cook until thick and smooth in top of double broiler

3 cups cooked potato cubed or sliced
1 large onion
3 pimentos cut into strips (I omitted these)
finely cut parsley

Grease baking dish and alternately add potato, onion, pimento and white sauce until all is used. Bake in 375 degree oven, 40 minutes-or until onion is well done. Sprinkle top with parsley and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment