Wednesday, April 13, 2011

blog the 13th...recipe the 10th..ninety more to go!

       We were slammed with a week of tummy troubles. As all of us know a stomach virus is ugly as well as ironically generous sharing itself. Four out of five of us were down for the count. I was lucky enough to have my daughter join me just a mere few hours into y reign. We did alot of snuggling and movie watching! The youngest of the bunch remained unscathed! I am so adverse to stomach bugs that I don't look to ask any questions, but I believe she may be a medical marvel.
       As for the movies we all watched together; 127 Hours, (which I highly recommend even for the squeamish), Tangled,(very fun), Stripes ( a classic), Kate and Leopold ( a nice little love story). We also viewed countless hours of Friends and Dharma and Greg. As stated it was a looooong week!
        When I felt as though the black shroud could be lifted from the house, I knew it was time to cook. I figured potatoes were a safe bet. The only caveat I made to this recipe was that I used grated cheese as opposed to mozzarella, as I wasn't sure we were ready for the real stuff.I will try it as written, and possibly add olives...and maybe fresh basil. Also I had some free time the night before and knew I would be pressed day of , so I made the mashed and stored them in the fridge overnight. It was a snap to put together, Enjoy!!!

Taken from Cucina Rustica by: Viana La Place and Evan Kleiman.
Pizza di Patate ( Potato Pizza)
2 pounds russet potatoes of similar size
1/4 cup evoo, divided, plus extra for pizza pan
salt to taste
2 tablespoons toasted bread crumbs
1/4 pound shredded Romano cheese
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and cut into small dice
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Boil the potatoes in salted water to cover until tender. Drain and when cool enough to handle, peel them. Put potatoes through a ricer. Add 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and salt to taste. Very lightly grease a 12 inch pizza pan with the oil. Sprinkle with the toasted bread crumbs. Spread the potato mixture over the pan to form a thin crust that is slightly thicker at the edges. Distribute the smoked mozzarella, and sprinkle with the grated cheeses, tomato and oregano. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment