Friday, June 7, 2013

recipe 21 bar bq sauce

FoodbuzzYes, it's been a long time since I've written. However it has not been a long time since I have eaten, read about, experimented, played with, cooked, baked, served, shopped, photographed or otherwise enjoyed all the nuances associated with food. I am making pulled pork this weekend and decided it needed homemade Bar-B-Q sauce. I used to make it all the time, but haven't in a while. I'm not sure why I haven't , it's so easy and so good. Here's to more blogging in the near future! Enjoy.
The Blue Ribbon Cookbook is a great selection from the Blue Ribbon restaurant giants in New York City. It is a collection of recipes that the owners and authors really eat.
I modified the recipe a little. (Only because I don't usually have soda in the house but found an ancient can of Dr. Pepper....also I was out of cayenne pepper so I used ancho chili powder instead.)
 
Oh...and a jalapeno instead of a serrano.
I didn't chop up the jalapeno...just sliced it as I know it is going into the pulled pork anyway.      
 
Bubble bubble.
 
It's really a dark maroon potful of slow heat goodness. The peppers give it just the right amount of heat that fades away and doesn't burn you tongue.
A perfect summer hostess gift!
 
 
Recipe adapted from Bromberg Bros. Blue Ribbon Cookbook, by Bruce Bromberg, Eric Bromberg and Melissa Clark
 
 
3cups ketchup
1 cup pure maple syrup
3/4 cup light beer (pale ale)
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons hot sauce
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 serrano chile  chopped
 
In a heavy non-reactive saucepan over medium high heat, mix together all ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered about 1 and 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Strain and if not using right away refrigerate until ready to use. Stores in fridge for a few months.....if it lasts that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment